Cleaning and Disinfecting GuidelineKeep your CipherLab device in good working order with regular and comprehensive cleaning and disinfecting. Follow your organization's infection-control policies and instructions provided by the disinfectant chemical manufacturer to determine the frequency and duration with which the following cleaning procedure should be performed.
- Turn off and/or disconnect the device from AC/DC power.
- Ensure that the battery is properly locked into the unit to prevent liquid from entering the electronics.
- The use of non-approved cleaning or disinfecting solutions on CipherLab devices may damage the devices.
- Follow the manufacturer’s directions on the approved solution for how to use their product appropriately and safely.
Approved Cleaning and Disinfectant Agents for CipherLab's Mobile ComputersThe following table provides a list of approved cleaning and disinfectant agents for CipherLab's mobile computers.
Remember, it is dangerous and not allowed to mix different chemical agents. To use them safely, make sure to follow the safety instructions provided by both the approved cleaning or disinfecting agent's manufacturer and CipherLab's cleaning and disinfecting guidelines. Please ensure that the solution percentages mentioned in the list below are followed exactly and not exceeded.
Using cleaning or disinfecting agents that are not approved can damage the product and void the warranty. Please refer to the table for the list of approved cleaning and disinfecting agents.
List of Approved Cleaning and Disinfection Agents for CipherLab's Mobile Computers
(Applicable to RS35 and RS36 models only)
|0.5-3.0% Hydrogen Peroxide solution
|10:1 Diluted 5.5% Sodium Hypochlorite solution
|70-91% Isopropyl Alcohol solution
|Clinell Universal Sanitizing Wipes
|Clorox Dispatch Hospital Cleaner Disinfectant Towels with Bleach
|Clorox Formula 409 Glass and Surface Cleaner
|Clorox Healthcare Bleach Germicidal Wipes
|Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Wipes
|Diversey Oxivir Tb Wipes
|Diversey Virex II 256 One-Step Disinfectant Cleaner
|PDI Easy Screen® Cleaning Wipe
|PDI Sani-Cloth AF3 Germicidal Disposable Wipe
|PDI Sani-Cloth Bleach Germicidal Disposable Wipe
|PDI Sani-Cloth HB Sani-Germicidal Disposable Wipe
|PDI Sani-Cloth Plus Germicidal Disposable Cloth
|PDI Super Sani-Cloth Germicidal Wipe
|Sani Professional Disinfecting Multi-Surface Wipes
|Sani-Hands® Instant Hand Sanitizing Wipes
|SC Johnson Windex Original Glass Cleaner with Ammonia-D
|Spartan Hepacide Quat II
Approved Cleaning and Disinfectant solutions
- Isopropyl alcohol (70% solution or above)
- Isopropyl alcohol wipes 70% (IPA70)
- Medicinal alcohol 75%
- Bleach containing 5.25–8.25% sodium hypochlorite. (Do not use a bleach product if the percentage is not in this range or is not specified.)
Clean the housing
- Using the alcohol wipes, wipe the housing including keys and in-between keys.
- Lightly wipe all surfaces, including the front, back, top, bottom, and sides.
- Never pooling the chemical liquid on any part of the product to prevent the liquid from entering the device.
- Use a moistened cotton-tipped swab to reach tight areas. Make sure to remove any lint left over by the applicator.
- Allow the device to air dry, or dry with a soft lint-free cloth before use. Be sure the electrical contacts are fully dry before connecting power.
Clean the display
- The display can be wiped down with the alcohol wipes, but take special care not to allow any pooling of liquid around the edges of the display. Immediately dry the display with a soft, non-abrasive cloth to prevent streaking.
Clean the exit window
- Wipe the scanner exit window regularly with a lens cloth or other material suitable for cleaning optical material such as eyeglasses.
- Avoid any abrasive material to touch the window.
- Avoid spraying water or other chemical liquids directly into the exit window.
- Immediately dry the scanner window with a soft non-abrasive cloth after cleaning to prevent streaking.
- Do not clean the device or expose it to liquid or moisture when the battery cover/battery is removed.
- Harmful ingredients are known to damage the plastics on the device and should not contact with the device: acetone; ketones; ethers; aromatic and chlorinated hydrocarbons; aqueous or alcoholic alkaline solutions; ethanolamine; toluene; trichloroethylene; benzene; carbolic acid and TB-lysoform.
- The combining of chemical solutions may be dangerous both to the user as well as to the device and is not approved. Always follow the safety directions provided by the manufacturer of the approved cleaning solution, along with the CipherLab cleaning guidelines, for safe handling and use.
- Some hand sanitizers contain ingredients that can be damaging to the device. Hands should be fully dry before touching the device to prevent damage.
*Notes about Bleach (sodium hypochlorite)
- When using sodium hypochlorite (bleach) based products, wear gloves during application.
- Due to the oxidizing nature of sodium hypochlorite, the metal surfaces on the scanner are prone to oxidation when exposed to this chemical and should be avoided.