Cleaning and Disinfecting Guideline
Keep your CipherLab device in good working order with regular and comprehensive cleaning and disinfecting. Follow your organization's infection-control policies and instructions provided by the disinfectant chemical manufacturer to determine the frequency and duration with which the following cleaning procedure should be performed.
- Turn off and/or disconnect the device from AC/DC power.
- Ensure that the battery is properly locked into the unit to prevent liquid from entering the electronics.
- The use of non-approved cleaning or disinfecting solutions on CipherLab devices may abolish the warranty.
- Follow the manufacturer’s directions on the approved solution for how to use their product appropriately and safely.
Approved Cleaning and Disinfectant solutions
- Isopropyl alcohol (70% solution or above)
- Isopropyl alcohol wipes 70% (IPA70)
- Medicinal alcohol 75%
- Bleach containing 5.25–8.25% sodium hypochlorite. (Do not use a bleach product if the percentage is not in this range or is not specified.)
Clean the scanner housing
- Use pre-moistened wipes or dampen a soft lens tissue or fiber cloth (not wet) with the approved solution.
- Lightly wipe all surfaces, including the front, back, top, bottom, and sides.
- Never pooling the chemical liquid on any part of the product to prevent the liquid from entering the device.
- Use a moistened cotton-tipped swab to reach tight areas. Make sure to remove any lint left over by the applicator.
- Allow the device to air dry, or dry with a soft lint-free cloth before use. Be sure the electrical contacts are fully dry before connecting power.
Clean the display
- The display can be wiped down with the alcohol wipes, but take special care not to allow any pooling of liquid around the edges of the display. Immediately dry the display with a soft, non-abrasive cloth to prevent streaking.
Clean the exit window
- Avoid any abrasive material to touch the window.
- Avoid spray water or other chemical liquids directly into the exit window.
- Wipe the scanner exit window with a lens cloth or other material suitable for cleaning optical material such as eyeglasses.
- Immediately dry the scanner window with a soft non-abrasive cloth after cleaning to prevent streaking.
Follow the safety directions provided by the manufacturer, along with CipherLab cleaning guidelines and precautions below.
- The combining of chemical solutions may be dangerous both to the user as well as to the device and is not approved. Always follow the safety directions provided by the manufacturer of the approved cleaning solution, along with the CipherLab cleaning guidelines, for safe handling and use.
- Some hand sanitizers contain ingredients that can be damaging to the device. Hands should be fully dry before touching the device to prevent damage.
*Notes about Bleach (sodium hypochlorite)
- When using sodium hypochlorite (bleach) based products, wear gloves during application.
- Due to the oxidizing nature of sodium hypochlorite, the metal surfaces on the scanner are prone to oxidation when exposed to this chemical and should be avoided.